Smartphones pack a lot of power into their small size, which makes them amazing tools for cinematography but also prone to camera shake, especially during moving shots. Gimbals bring buttery footage to smartphone videos that create truly cinematic effects. Although new gimbals come out every year, the improvements from here forward will be nominal compared to the amazing features you get in the OM 4.
What We Love:
- Affordable: The OM 4 is among the cheapest gimbals on the market.
- DJI Name: You get DJI quality and the brand's intuitive app to control gimbal.
- Easy to Use: One-button shooting, simple controls, and designed for portrait and landscape shooting.
- Active Track: Improved active track for squirmy pets and children within your frame.
Best For: Plug-and-play ease, occasional videographers, and anyone who loves DJI products.
Weight: 405 grams
Size: 157×130×46 mm (folded); 286×126×98 mm (unfolded)
Shop DJI OM 4
The Smooth 4 reminds me of some of the higher-end DSLR gimbals I’ve shot with. It has that more technical look and feel and a larger payload--it supports phones weighing up to 7.4 ounces. With a universal counterweight, you can balance a full-size phone and a Moment lens and still get balanced footage. The multifunctional wheel allows for manual focusing or zoom, which lets you control your smartphone with full-featured big camera controls. The Smooth 4 has some seriously advanced features that integrate with its app and it allows external charging from a battery pack or it can charge your phone while in use.
What We Love:
- Affordable Payload: This is the most affordable gimbal that works with Moment lenses and filters. You will need our Universal Counterweight to balance all the options.
- Advanced Controls: The controls are consistent with a DSLR style gimbal with more advanced control for zoom, focus, and shooting modes.
- Pro Feel: Feels and looks like a mini-pro stabilizer and offers customizable buttons and controls.
- All the Features: You can buy nicer gimbals, but you'd be hard-pressed to find one with more features.
Best For: Anyone who wants to shoot with Moment lenses. Works with plus size phones, lenses, filters, and our Universal Counterweight.
Counterweight: Moment Universal
Weight: 547 grams
Size: 123 x 105 x 328mm
Shop Zhiyun Smooth 4
The Freefly Movi is the top of the line gimbal. If you aren’t familiar with Freefly they are famous for cinema drones and gimbals. Movi is taking all of their experience with hollywood and bringing it to the rest of us. If you are looking for the top of the line gimbal that can carry the most weight. Then the Movi is your choice.
This is the only gimbal with a flat bottom designed to sit flat when you aren’t using it. You’ll learn this matters when you are out shooting and need to put your camera down. This gimbal also has the most advanced controls between the Movi and their app, from configurable hard buttons to dynamic shooting modes. The Movi is designed for one or two-handed operation, which makes it more stable and versatile.
The Freefly Movi is a powerhouse. It can balance lots of phone and lens combinations without a counterweight, and with the Movi-specific counterweight system, it can use any combination of today’s plus-sized smartphones and Moment lenses. In order to take full advantage of the buttons and features, you need to have the app installed.
What We Love
- Cinema Gimbal Quality: Freefly is known for its cinema gimbals, and the Movi is built just like them.
- Advanced features, precision control: The Movi shoots one- or two-handed, features tons of control options, and pro-level features on a smartphone gimbal.
- Versatile Payload: The Movi offers the widest variety of phone + counterweight compatibility.
- Sophisticated Build: From the easy microphone mount to the super-polished app, the Movi just feels professional.
Best For: Anyone who wants an advanced gimbal with elegant controls and stronger motors.
Counterweight: Counterweight for Freefly Movi
Weight: 671 grams
Size: 231 x 185 x 91mm
Are you on the list? You don’t want to miss our weekly email with fresh, inspiring content.